Thursday, December 10, 2009

Macarons: The New Cupcakes?

Remember how, a couple years back, cupcakes became the new new thing? Just last month, in fact, I spent $5.25 on one in a tiny and very posh cupcake boutique called More in Chicago because I just had to know what a bacon-and-maple-syrup cupcake would taste like (answer: good). But now, in terms of foodie lust and adulation, I'm seeing cupcakes being nudged aside by macarons. Have you noticed? I'm seeing them everywhere, including--wait for it!--at Starbucks. Yep, from Sunday Dec 13th until Dec 26th, 3,500 Starbuck's coffee shops across the U.S. will be selling this 12-piece selection, made in France by Château Blanc. The box includes two pieces each of coffee, pistachio, raspberry, chocolate, vanilla, and lemon. I can't imagine they would give either Pierre Hermé's or Ladurée's famous ones a run for their money but you gotta give Starbuck's an "A" for effort, no? The packaging is pretty, the "limited time only" implies freshness and, considering les macarons sell in chic Parisian patisseries for 1 or 2 euro each, this $9.95 box is a pretty good deal as well.

12 comments:

  1. Leave it to Starbuck's! This is good news - macarons do have a certain something. I've become addicted to them.
    Have really been enjoying reading your blog, there is so much good information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that macarons are of the moment, having just taking part in the new monthly Mactweets.blogspot.com macaron challenge. Food bloggers are CRAZY about macarons right now so I think they'll take off mainstream next year.

    Mine were a bit rubbish this time, the "feet" have been eluding me. But they taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll keep my eyes open for the macaroons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me wish for a Starbucks in Provence ;) Over Christmas break, my girls and I are going to try and do homemade macaroons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The holding group also owns Laduree so you never know maybe they gave away a few culinary secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it certainly makes them more acessible even if for a short time.....but wasn't that makes them so special? that they aren't to easily enjoyed and they become the special Paris treat? I am sticking to my Paris macaroon, Laduree of course. I am a macaroon
    snob.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pierre Hermé's ones are my favorites !!Macarons are everywhere not all of them are good ..it is very trendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is good news! I love those sweet confections. Your blog is lovely and I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm. I do have the Laduree recipe for macaroons (from the New York Times)...shall we give it a whirl over the holidays? Maybe just a trip to Starbucks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Starbucks, Costo (Canada)... is Safeway next? Well, at least customers are exposed to these treats, their name and what they look like.
    I just hope they understand these delicacies can be quite more sophisticated made by a professional, trained in the techniques of Pierre Herme for example. The flavours in our shop are so much more interesting.
    Long live the macaron!

    www.yannboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore macarons. And would be happy to see them in more places (though I'm happy to make them myself), but I just fear that poor imitations will start to pop up. Like what happened to the cupcake. Can't believe Starbucks was selling them. I think their fate has been sealed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't the french spell it with only one "O", as opposed to the coconut based cookie with two?

    ReplyDelete